Contact Us For Help!

Lake County Indiana Car Accident Attorney

Car accidents can be incredibly harrowing times even for the hardiest of souls. This is especially true if you or a loved one were injured during the accident and are facing a tough road to recovery. In these cases, it can be easy to look at the different insurance providers involved and opt for whatever settlement comes your way, but the fact of the matter is that this could be a mistake. An insurance provider will often attempt to offer the lowest settlement amount possible because they are depending on your desire to simply rest and recover rather than fight for the compensation you deserve. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.

Car Accident Attorney Serving Northwest Indiana

If you have been injured in a car accident, you might be entitled to recover your financial expenses. In order to determine if you have a case and to craft the best approach possible when it comes to handling a case, you need an attorney with plenty of experience. At Semko Law Office, we have the knowledge and experience to take your case and ensure that it receives the attention that it deserves. Semko Law Office works passionately to ensure that our clients receive the compensation they deserve as quickly and easily as possible.

Car Accident Claims

If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, you might be wondering exactly where to go from here. On a practical level, the first thing you should do is stop. While many people believe that it is morally right to stop after an accident, they might not be aware that it is actually state law to do so if the accident in question causes damage to any vehicle. Exchange your insurance and driver’s license information with the other party. Something else to note is that if the accident causes death, injury, or property damage in excess of $1,000, you are expected to offer “reasonable” aid to individuals who are injured and make sure to report the accident to the closest police department within 10 days.

The next thing you should do is seek medical attention. Pay attention to your body and how it is reacting after the accident. Even if you don’t immediately feel as though you have been injured, you could very well find a few days later that you have a sore neck or back. Sometimes it takes injuries awhile to show up. Seek medical attention as quickly as possible and do not write anything off as “too simple” to seek medical attention. Keep detailed records of your expenses, your damages, your visits to the hospital or doctor’s office, your diagnoses, and any potential treatment options that your doctor mentions. This information will come in handy when the time comes to file your case.

The 51% Rule

The state of Indiana recognizes something known as comparative fault. This means that you don’t have to be entirely “innocent” in order to recover damages from the accident. It is possible, for example, to be partially at fault for an accident but for the other party involved to be more at fault. The amount of money that you can recover depends upon how at fault you are determined to have been in the accident. If your medical bills cost $1,000, for example, and you were found to be 30% at fault, then you can collect 70% of your damages – so $700 in this example. The other $300 corresponds to your 30% of fault, and is money that you cannot recover as damages.

Proving Fault In Car Accident Cases

One of the trickiest parts to any personal injury car accident case is proving fault. Sometimes this might be an easy step, but often it proves to be far trickier than you might imagine. In order to help you navigate the applicable laws and determine exactly who was at fault for the accident and to what degree, you should consider speaking with an experienced attorney for advice. They can help look through witness’ statements, photographs of your injuries, damages, and the scene, police reports, and medical records to determine who is at fault and how much you deserve in compensation.

Contact A Car Accident Lawyer Today For Help

Car accidents can be incredibly confusing. At Semko Law Office, we strive to help you get the best result possible. Contact us today for help!