Contact Us For Help!

Lake County Indiana Motorcycle Accident Attorney

If you or a loved one have been victim to a motorcycle accident, you might find yourselves a bit unsure as to how you should proceed. This can be a confusing situation and it’s perfectly fine to need some help. You should know that there is a possibility that you could recover your damages from the accident if the other driver was at fault. This could greatly help ease the financial burden that is often present after these types of accidents, not to mention alleviate some of the stress that missing work and being injured can bring. The best thing you can do at this point is to reach out to an experienced attorney who understands motorcycle accident law.

Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Serving Northwest Indiana

When you are looking for an attorney to help you with your motorcycle accident case, make sure that the professionals in question have experience with motorcycle law. At Semko Law Office we have experience handling motorcycle accident cases. We understand the ins and outs of this kind of claim and are ready to help you recover as much compensation as possible to aid you along the road to recovery. We work hard to get you the justice and compensation you deserve.

Motorcycle Accidents & Fault

When it comes to many motorcycle accidents, the question of fault is a relatively easy one to lay to rest. While motorcyclists can absolutely cause accidents and bear fault, the majority of cases find that fault rests with the operators of passenger vehicles. Drivers are often simply not aware as to how they should properly share the road with motorcyclists, which can lead to dangerous conditions and extreme negligence. This, in turn, causes serious accidents that can have life-long consequences for everyone involved.

Comparative Fault

In the state of Indiana, it is possible to be somewhat at fault for an accident and still recover damages. If you are less than 51% to blame for the accident, then you can still recover some of your damages, however the amount of damages you can collect is directly related to the amount of fault you are assigned. Let’s say that your medical bills total $1,000 and you are found to be 5% responsible for an accident. In this situation, you can recover 95% of your expenses. That means that you might be entitled to receive $950 of those medical bills. The other $50 is related to the 5% of fault that you carry for causing the accident, and you aren’t able to recover that.

When to Call a Lawyer?

One common question about motorcycle accidents is when to contact an attorney. The very first thing you do when you are in an accident is ensure that yourself and your loved ones are okay. Seek medical attention and take care of yourself. But before too long, you will want to reach out to an experienced attorney to start your claim. While there are a few reasons for this, perhaps the most important of them is that it is actually incredibly easy to say something to insurance providers that will damage your case – and the people questioning you know it, and will purposefully ask you questions that are designed to obtain specific answers.

Instead of dealing with insurance companies on your own, let an attorney handle everything for you. They understand how the law works and are able to speak with insurance companies on your behalf. Not only does this help ease the stress that you might be experiencing during this time, but it will also help ensure that you do not accidentally damage your case.

Time Constraints

In addition to the above, it is a good idea to reach out to an attorney as quickly as possible because you have a set amount of time within which you can file a motorcycle accident claim. You have, in general, two years from the date of the accident itself to file a claim. If you miss that deadline, then you also miss your chance to recover compensation from the other party. It might seem as though two years is plenty of time, but be aware that insurance companies are known to do everything they can to delay this process in order to avoid paying. An attorney can help prevent that.

If you or a loved one have been involved in a motorcycle accident, reach out to Semko Law Office today for help! Our experienced attorneys are ready to start working on your case.