Contact Us For Help!

Lake County Indiana Personal Injury Lawyer

Have you or a loved one been injured in an accident of some kind? If so, you might be wondering if there is any way you can recover the cost of your medical care and other expenses. In Indiana, there are a few different options available when it comes to personal injury law. In general, if you have been injured as a result of the action or inaction – also known as negligence – of another person, you might be able to file a personal injury claim and attempt to recover some of your financial losses. An experienced attorney can help.

Personal Injury Attorney Serving Northwest Indiana

When it’s time to file your personal injury case, make sure that you pick the best attorney possible for your needs. In order to determine who is the best option, there are couple of different things you should look at. Does the firm have experience in the area of law that you’d need help with? At Semko Law Office, for example, we are proud to offer our clients a vast array of experience in a number of different legal fields. Even better, we do this with the understanding that you are experiencing an incredibly difficult time in your life and need help in order to focus on recovery. We’re passionate about ensuring that your rights are upheld and that you receive the correct compensation to which you might be entitled.

Personal Injury Claims

One of the most common lawsuits filed after an injury is that of negligence. When we say that someone is “negligent”, we are saying that they failed to exercise the necessary amount of reasonable care and that it was this failure that led to your injury. If you were on someone’s property and tripped on a concrete sidewalk that had been poorly maintained and was broken in places, you might have a negligence case. This is especially true if the area in question was dimly lit so that you couldn’t even see the broken cement to begin with.

In addition to negligence, there are a variety of other issues that can lead to personal-injury-related claims. Medical negligence, intentional harm, premises liability, and products liability are some of the other common issues behind many cases. To put it as succinctly as possible, it is possible that you have a personal injury case in a wide variety of different situations. In order to sort through the complex law and make a determination regarding fault that lies one way or another, you should seek out a knowledgeable and experienced personal injury attorney.

Note that if the individual who was harmed in a personal injury case was killed in the process, the case you will want to look into filing is now a wrongful death suit.

What Is Comparative Fault?

The state of Indiana recognizes comparative fault in personal injury cases. That means that you could be found to be partially at fault for your injury. If you fell on a poorly maintained sidewalk but did so because you were running around and not paying any attention to your surroundings, for example, you might be found to be partially at fault for the resulting injury. With that said, you still might be able to recover some of the expenses that you encountered as a result. If you are found to be 20% at fault and the other party to be 80% at fault for your injury and your medical expenses totaled $1000, for example, you could recover up to $800 from the other party. The remaining $200 is money that you will have to pay yourself because the accident was partially your fault.

As long as you are responsible for, at most, 50% of the injury, you can recover compensation. If you are responsible for anything over 50% of the accident, then you will not be able to bring a claim to court in Indiana.

What Are The Time Constraints?

As with many things, there are time constraints that govern when personal injury cases can be filed. The statute of limitation in Indiana requires that you file a personal injury lawsuit no more than two years after the date that the injury occurred. You can file the claim before two years have passed, but not after.

Personal injury claims can be confusing and surprisingly complex. For help and guidance, reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney. When you contact Semko Law Office, we will do everything in our power to help you pursue your case in the most effective way possible.

Contact A Personal Injury Lawyer

At Semko Law Office, we strive to help you get the best result possible. Contact us today for help!